Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Great Comforter Debate?

I read a kind of interesting article by Sara Ruffin Costello the other day... and I say kind of interesting because it brought up a debate that I didn't even realize was going on.

Big fluffy down-filled duvets vs. simple and flatter blankets or coverlets.

For a long time now, it seems like big and fluffy was the way to go. You at least saw a duvet folded at the foot of the bed. But Sara brought up some good points in favor of ditching the big fluffy for the flat and simple, so as I looked back at my saved pictures I realized that many of them were already sporting the cleaner and leaner look.

I'm not sure where I've been, but there does indeed seem to be a battle raging... which side are you on?

Flat:

or Fluffy:

Flat and tucked in:


or Fluffy:


Flat and layered:

or Fluffy:

Flat with texture:

or Fluffy:



I've been kind of thinking for a while that I would take the down-filled comforter out of my linen duvet, and maybe just use the duvet cover flat as a coverlet. Chris hates sleeping with it on his feet (because it's too heavy), so most nights it ends up folded over into the middle of the bed anyways - even in the winter. (He doesn't understand why we can't just have sheets only on the bed.) I also really like the look of an interesting thick blanket at the foot of the bed, especially in plaid.


If you haven't already, don't forget to enter my contest for a $50 gift certificate at CSN Stores! All you have to do is leave a comment on that post.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

VIVA LA FLUFFY DUVETS!

I agree, the flat look better, but the fluffy are so much better to sleep in. Its like sleeping on a cloud :)

Anonymous said...

I'm more of a fan of the fluffy as it gets really cold up here. I also find that I sleep better when the blanket is heavy, which is kind of weird.

Linda said...

Fluffy!

boops said...

I want to say fluffy, but sometimes I feel like I'm sleeping under a marshmallow.

SkinnyMeg said...

I like the fluffy look, but not overly huge :) We have a flatter one, cause it's just to darn hot here in Texas for a big one!

Appletree said...

I have fluffy, it is January in Minnesota. But I like how flat looks better. I didn't realize I liked it better until I saw your post.

Emily @ GEORGE Interior Design said...

i like both! How about one look (fluffy) for fall winter and the other look (thin) for spring and summer! That's how I justify having more stuff anyways:) i really like that last room with the gold and green and silver and are those faint yellow walls?

MFAMB said...

i say why limit yourself? i do fluffy in the winter and flat in the summer.

rebekah said...

Flat and layered for us! I get too hot underneath a duvet. I'm sure if we lived in a cooler climate, we would end up with a duvet.

sensiblyluxe said...

i love Melissa's comment. I'm with her--fluffy all the way. it just feels more decadent.

Dovecote Decor said...

Just found you! Loved the post! Drop by to see our fabulous imported French Basketeer Giveaway. To quote Andrea plastic bags are “so passé!”
Best,
Liz

Austin said...

I think I like flat and layered. Or somewhere in between flat and fluffy. I also like your idea of an interesting thick blanket at the foot of the bed.

Mary Mac said...

Would LOVE to have fluffy but my husband is allergice to down... so we have flat. I'm dealin' with it... I have an awesome throw that I cuddle up in! ;)
www.boddricksroost.blogspot.com

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0