Thursday, August 27, 2009

Trim it Down with Two Point Taco Soup (Thursday Edition)

Every girl loves to hear these words when they go to the doctor: "You need to lose some weight."
Yeah.
I know that I loved hearing that yesterday afternoon from my doctor. But, in the end, he is right. I am now the heaviest that I have ever EVER been in my life, and I did not like the number that popped up on the scale. What's worse is that with TWO doctors appointments yesterday, I got to see it come up TWICE! So, no fluke, I really weigh that. (And good luck with trying to get me to tell you what "that" number is!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!)

I know Erin over at Blue-Eyed Bride used to do Weight Watchers Wednesdays, so to not-quite copy her (with love), I am going to start doing "Trim it Down Tuesdays" - a collection of low-cal recipes that I think are delicious, with maybe a few fitness tips thrown in. Yes, I know it's Thursday, but I thought "Tuesday" had a better ring to it, so after today's first edition it will move to Tuesdays. Since there's no time like the present to start watching my diet, I thought I'd start today.This is a recipe that I also originally got off of Erin's website last year:


Two Point Taco Soup

1 large onion, diced
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes & green chiles
1 (11 ounce) canned corn with red and green peppers
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can low-fat or fat-free canned refried black beans
2 cans water (3 1/2 cups)
1 package taco seasoning mix 1 package ranch salad dressing mix (dry)

Sauté onion with vegetable oil cooking spray. When softened, combine all other ingredients and cook until heated through.

Makes 9-10 cups. Serving size is 1 cup. 2 WW points per serving.



This is a really good soup. But Chris complained that there was no meat in it... Uh huh. So, for all the meat lovers out there, here is another version that is evidently the same 2 points!!



Two Point Taco Soup - the Meaty Version


1 pound of ground turkey or lean ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 package of Ranch dressing dry mix (1 oz.)
1 package of Taco seasoning mix (1 oz.)
1 can of Pinto beans (16 oz.)
1 can of Chili beans, either hot or regular (16 oz.)
1 can of corn with red and green peppers (11 oz.)
1 can of Rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with chili peppers) (8 oz.)
1 can of regular diced tomatoes

Brown the meat and onions and drain the fat. Then, add the Ranch mix and Taco seasoning to meat and onions. Without draining any of the cans, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.

Makes 12 servings. Serving size is 1 cup.


Not all of my recipes will be Weight Watchers. In fact, if you have any delicious "healthy" recipes, leave them in the comments section and I'll try to make them and re-post the recipe in a future post of "Trim it Down"!

4 comments:

Blue-Eyed Bride said...

I need to make that new recipe! Yum!

Linda said...

So going to try the meaty version this weekend!

Erika said...

I'm in the same boat...I'm also the heaviest I've ever been. My mom says that means I have a happy marriage. Not a good excuse in my book. haha! I've also started to eat healthier choices. If you haven't already...you should try bison/buffalo meat. It's much leaner than beef and it's delish! We are having bison patties for dinner (burgers without the buns). Add a few tomato slices and steamed spinach and WA-LA...healthy dinner! It's a slow process for us. Best wishes to you!!! Thanks for the recipe, I can't wait to see what else you have cookin'!

Christin said...

This is a favorite at our house...been making it for years, the meat version...a few things to play with that we like...brown your meat with the onion, 1 clove of garlic, half of your favorite color bell pepper and a jalepeno...add 1 can of light red kidney beans and 1 can of cut green beans and we like to top it with fat free cheddar cheese(WW pts--ups it to 3)...also makes well in the crock-pot...brown your meat and dump it all together on low for a few hours. Some of our low cal favorites have come from the Hungry Girl cookbooks....She has an amazing, out of this world, fabulous tasting low cal margarita!!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0