Monday, August 31, 2009

Trim It Down Tuesday: Drunken Stir-Fried Beef with Green Beans



This is one of our favorite recipes, and at 202 calories per serving, it's not one we feel guilty about!






"Drunken" Paste (You can either make it from scratch, or you can buy it. I always buy it! It's much easier! I use Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste.)

Cooking Spray

1-pound of flank steak or other type of thin steak cut into small 1/4-inch strips

2 cups of cut fresh green beans

1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes

1 tablespoon of sugar (or Splenda)

3 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1 cup fresh basil leaves


Heat a wok or large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add paste (approx. 1 to 2 tablespoons of store bought) and heat up for about 30 seconds. Add beef and stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add green beans and stir fry another 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, fish sauce, and vinegar; stir fry for about 1 minute or until beef is done (it should be done by now). Remove from heat and stir in basil, then serve!


I've slightly modified this recipe from the original because of what I've found out through experience. For example, you need to cook the green beans a little longer than the original calls for. Also, as I said earlier, using the store-bought paste is so much easier.


You can serve this over rice, or rice noodles, and it's wonderful with extra vegetables like mushrooms added. We've also used chicken instead of beef, and it turns out just as good!


Yield: 5 servings, serving size 3/4 cup, 202 calories per serving

4 comments:

Ellen Mint said...

Mmm, I love red curry paste. It's got just enough of that curry flavor without being set your mouth on fire send you to the emergency room hot.

I always OD on fish sauce too, love the meaty flavor it gives to stir fry though I wind up smelling like a cat food factory afterwards.

Linda said...

I think you told me about this before. I'll definitely be giving this a try!

Erika said...

This looks delish! I'll definitely have to try it out!

The new Hard Rock is now right by the AAC (across from Hooters). I have been to many Hard Rock's and this one seemed to be WAY over priced and the menu was smaller than what I remember. I ended up getting a $15 appetizer that was horrible. :o( I guess I can at least say I've been...and won't go back. hehe.

Have a great week!

JennyLee said...

I cannot wait to try this recipe! It sounds so good!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0