Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Guest Bedroom re-do: the progress continues

I have a tip for you: when it's raining for over 48 hours straight, don't try to paint outside. Even if you're under your porch, with a tarp nailed up. There will be some bad results. Paint doesn't dry, wind gusts come and knock your stuff over, water starts coming down on the INSIDE of the tarp and the paint washes off your stuff..... it's an experience. I'm one of those people that seem to like to learn from experiences this. Let's just say I learned a lot.

So. I painted the armoire inside. But the headboard/footboard and the side tables all were affected. This is what the headboard looked like after it dried off and was inside. You can see where all the off-white paint has washed off, exposing the black underneath.




So, with my trusty paintbrush (Chris has previously tested out how paintsprayers work inside. Pretty much, paint goes everywhere.) I took my paint and fixed it the best I could. It's still not the best paintjob - it's kind of globby in some places - but it's all one color now.



The side tables weren't as bad off as the headboard. We had them upside down, so the tops didn't get covered with paint, so there was nothing to "wash away" there. And the legs didn't get as much water on them as the bed (which was laying down in the water) did. I painted the tops and touched up the legs.



The next step was deciding that I wanted to "antique" the furniture so that it didn't look too juvenile in the room. Also, it saved me from doing a second coat on the armoire! So, I took some light sandpaper and went to work on the edges of the furniture.

Here is the armoire before:



And here we are after:



You can see the "distressed" finish a little better here:





All that's left to do is put it all back in the room together and hang some art!

7 comments:

Linda said...

It looks really good. I love it.

Ellen Mint said...

Looks good. And that's one of the biggest reasons that I don't paint outside anymore. I can't count the number of times a gust of wind has nearly knocked over my cup with brushes.

Anonymous said...

I really like the distressed finish on the armoie! I'm impressed with your painting skills as I have absolutely none and would get paint blumpies everywhere.

rebekah said...

Love the distressed paint on the after!

Marie said...

Oh wow, the armoire looks so different, and great too. I wish I had somewhere to decorate!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

It's looking great so far. Amazing to see what a gallon of white paint can do!

JennyLee said...

You did an amazing job! All the pieces look brand new!

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0